Research Director (Everybody Votes Campaign)
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Senior Manager/Supervisor
ABOUT EVERYBODY VOTES CAMPAIGN
Everybody Votes Campaign (EVC) is a national non-partisan, not-for-profit hiring staff for a large-scale coordinated civic engagement campaign active through the 2024 election cycle. The campaign aims to create a more representative democracy by registering millions of underrepresented voters across the country. This effort focuses on voter registration in a targeted fashion by conducting at-scale, effective, efficient, metrics-driven registration work. Through this work, we seek to fundamentally change the make-up of the electorate and to increase the political power of traditionally underrepresented communities in our democracy.
We directly fund organizations who execute voter registration and run quality control operations. We are dedicated to being active participants with the organizations to ensure their programs are effective and promote an investment in the future of emerging communities.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Research Director to oversee research projects and products in order to evaluate different methods of how to effectively register people of color to vote. This role is ideal for someone with both excellent communications skills and a strong handle of social science research, statistical methodologies, and experiment design, and excellent communication skills engaging with a variety of partners and communities, including technical and non-technical individuals. The Research Director will report to the Director of Data and Technology.
WHAT YOU WILL DO IN YOUR ROLE
- Collaborate closely with data scientists, project managers, and voter registration program managers to design, implement, and analyze experiments and pilot programs.
- Support the design of both surveys and experiments: identifying research questions, designing experiment methodologies, and drafting survey questions.
- Oversee relationships with external consultants, collaborating with external teams to deliver high-quality research deliverables.
- Support the synthesization of original research into talking points, memos, and presentations to our internal team, leadership, and partner organizations.
- Work closely with field teams to establish and manage effective systems to track and evaluate program progress to goal for the organization, staff, and partners.
- Keep a pulse on the landscape of research and innovation within the civic engagement space.
- Manage, mentor, and provide direct supervision for data scientists and project managers.
- Cultural competency: able to build relationships and collaborate with colleagues, partners and stakeholders across multiple lines of identity difference.
- Keep calm in stressful situations: demonstrated capacity and willingness to work long hours during peak season, rolling up their sleeves and getting the work done.
- Growth mindset: demonstrated ability to take and receive feedback with professionalism and grace from peers and staff as well as supervisors.
- Enthusiastically goal-oriented: enjoys working toward and achieving ambitious goals; willing to go over, under, around, or through any obstacle that gets in the way of meeting goals with a proven track record of creating and executing/managing comprehensive strategic goals.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS ROLE
- Experience successfully managing or implementing statistical analysis techniques, randomized controlled experiments, and predictive models from design to completion.
- Proven track record of understanding statistical analysis techniques, predictive modeling, and qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Able to internalize research with a critical lens and an eye to the real world implications of any findings.
- Strong skills and experience communicating technical concepts to non-technical audiences, both in writing and verbally.
- Track record of successfully driving and managing work in an environment with multiple stakeholder relationships, as a member of a diverse, multidisciplinary team.
- Experience managing vendor relationships from research proposal to launch from sourcing Requests for Proposals (RFPs), contract development, and facilitating regular check-ins.
Helpful but not required:
- Working knowledge of tools and tactics in the fields of voter registration or voting rights.
- Previous experience canvassing or with field management.
- Previous experience successfully growing the skills of data staff through management and mentoring, potentially in a remote environment.
- Some knowledge of SQL and management of relational SQL databases (Vertica, Redshift, PostgreSQL, etc).
- Previous experience working with VAN, Catalist, Politech, or other individual-level data used to target and implement civic engagement programs.
BENEFITS AND CULTURE
We offer flexible remote forward work, and a generous benefits package; including 100% cost coverage of employee health benefits, 401K with an automatic employer contribution regardless of employee contribution level, virtual therapy, stipend for ergonomic office set ups and generous vacation and leave policies.
Salary Range: $110,000 - $130,000
Our work is centered on creating a deeply inclusive and significantly more representative electorate. In order to be successful in this role, the candidate must have the cultural competence to successfully work with a diverse group of staff, partners and stakeholders. We especially strongly encourage applicants with close ties to Black, Latinx, Indigenous, non-English-speaking, disability, and LGBTQ+ communities to apply. We are proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
Nonprofit HR is committed to fostering and maintaining a work environment where diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are fully integrated into everything we do for the benefit of our employees and the clients that we serve. To fully realize our goal, we prioritize our understanding of the complexities of DEI within our workforce to inform our approach to talent management. We believe that this guides how we do our work, advise our clients to operationalize DEI and position our content and educational opportunities help strengthen the talent management capacity of the social impact sector.
Continue reading our about our commitment at nonprofithr.com/deinow.