Executive Assistant to the President & Chief Executive Officer (Museum of African American History)
JOB TITLE: Executive Assistant to the President & Chief Executive Officer
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
DATE: September 2023
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT/ NONEXEMPT
COMPENSATION: $55,000 – $61,000
The Museum of African American History connects colonial and early African American history & culture in Boston and the larger New England area with the abolition of slavery and current explorations of race and the struggle for human rights.
Home to four original African American buildings built at the birth of the nation and still standing, the museum illuminates, interprets, and preserved the birthplace of the abolitionist movement and the continuing struggle for human rights.
The Museum is a not-for-profit history institution that began holding exhibitions and public gatherings in 1963 and is nationally and internationally known for its collection of historic sites in Boston and Nantucket, including two African Meeting Houses Abiel Smith School, Seneca Boston- Florence Higginbotham House, Black Heritage Trails.
The Executive Assistant provides comprehensive and strategic support to the museum’s President & CEO in executing goals of the museum. The ideal candidate will utilize independent judgment and decision making, have exemplary time management skills, ability to identify and anticipate CEO’s needs, exercise professionalism and discretion when handling highly sensitive and confidential information, excellent communication and customer service skills when handling inquiries from various stakeholders including high profile individuals.
- Support various administrative and organization needs of the CEO to ensure maximum efficiency including but not limited to calendar management, scheduling meetings, travel arrangements, manage speaker and appearance requests, and expense reporting. Keep CEO advised of time-sensitive matters and ensuring appropriate follow-up.
- Schedule and prepare meetings, communications, and outreach to internal and external stakeholders and the community.
- Provide proactive overall management of scheduling, preparation and board member support for the Board of Directors and committees.
- Project management including, but not limited to:
- Planning meetings (virtual and in-person), seminars, and press conferences
- Assist with managing project budget and marketing assets
- Facilitating travel and schedule for keynote speakers
- Assist in preparation and execution of events
- Effectively answer inquiries of executive leadership and stakeholders and interact effectively with other executive staff of the organization.
- Effectively answer inquiries of executive leadership and stakeholders and interact effectively with them as well by phone, in writing, and in person.
- Provide day to day human resource administration oversight, including but not limited to onboarding, training, and benefits administration.
- General office support
- Maintaining marketing materials
- Order office supplies
- Works collaboratively across departments
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or Associate’s degree with supplementary work experience
- 3 -5 years' experience supporting a senior executive or team
- Excellent computer skills – proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe, and/or project management software, Zoom
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work a hybrid schedule (onsite and off-site)
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong interpersonal, time management, and organizational skills
- Displays good judgment and professionalism
- Critical and analytical thinking.
- Affable personality/ possess a sense of humor
MAAH is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, MAAH is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws. We are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive staff team.
How to Apply? Please submit your cover letter and resume indicating Executive Assistant in the subject line.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
Nonprofit HR is committed to fostering and maintaining a work environment where diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are fully integrated into everything we do for the benefit of our employees and the clients that we serve. To fully realize our goal, we prioritize our understanding of the complexities of DEI within our workforce to inform our approach to talent management. We believe that this guides how we do our work, advise our clients to operationalize DEI and position our content and educational opportunities help strengthen the talent management capacity of the social impact sector.
Continue reading our about our commitment at nonprofithr.com/deinow.