Chief Executive Officer (Associated Black Charities)
Associated Black Charities CEO Job Announcement
Associated Black Charities (ABC) was founded in 1985 to represent and respond to issues of special significance to Maryland's African American communities. Concerned that needs within these communities were not being adequately addressed, a group of area ministers and businessmen came together. They envisioned an organization that would raise and distribute funds in support of efforts that targeted the needs specific to African Americans in Maryland.
Three decades later, ABC is still advocating for people of color in Maryland. ABC is leading the charge to close the wealth gaps that put so many African American families at a disadvantage in achieving the American dream. With the investment of individual donors, corporations, foundations, and other public and private funds, ABC continues to raise funds to address the widening wealth gap of African Americans and other persons of color in the Baltimore region by addressing structural racism.
ABC continues to focus on economic equity because they believe that ultimately the outcomes benefit all Marylanders. ABC's push for systemic investments and innovative data driven strategies; influence and galvanize other organizations; and build the capacity of community-based organizations and non-profits that are in pursuit of the same goal.
MISSION AND VISION
Our Mission: Associated Black Charities works across Maryland as an educator, advocate and supporter to eliminate race-based structural barriers and advance long-term solutions that create new opportunities for African Americans to thrive financially and build a stronger economy for all.
Our Vision: Associated Black Charities is advocating and facilitating the creation of measurably healthier and more prosperous communities through responsible leadership and philanthropic investment throughout the State of Maryland by:
- Incorporating an equity lens in both policy and workforce development.
- Working with policy makers, civic and institutional leaders and advocates to influence policy decisions at the city and state levels.
- Supporting equitable workforce development practices by partnering with employers.
- Long-term investment to achieve population-level outcomes.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) reports to the Associated Black Charities Board of Directors and is responsible for the organization's overall strategic direction, leadership, and daily operations. The CEO focuses on operational strategy, program management, and stewardship of external relationships to maximize fundraising with a commitment to combatting systemic racism and creating a more equitable community in the state of Maryland and beyond. The CEO works collaboratively with the Board of Directors to execute a highly strategic vision and facilitate relationships with key donors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides visionary and strategic leadership in the design, promotion, delivery, and evaluation of programs and services consistent with the organization's core values, principles, and mission.
- Ensure the organization has the appropriate infrastructure, operating systems, and resources necessary to support the association's mission, vision, values, strategic plan, and annual goals.
- Provide leadership to foster and sustain a values-driven organizational culture that attracts, retains, motivates, develops, and empowers staff.
- Manage the leadership team and supervise functions and staff therein, including leadership development, program development, governance support, and fund development.
- Facilitate the work of the board leadership team on priority setting, new initiatives, and operational plans.
- Foster, sustain and model a culture of excellence and ensure the most effective use of the organization's talent and management infrastructure.
- Create capacity for change management strategy to build a culture of knowledge-sharing and creativity.
Operations and Programs
- Implement an operational plan incorporating goals and objectives that work towards the strategic plan and meet the expectations of the Board of Directors and donors.
- Monitor day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain a high satisfaction rate from participants and achieve grant deliverables.
- Increased capacity to lead strategic re-evaluation of mission and strategic plan, align programmatic offerings and revenue streams.
- Build solid infrastructure (strategy, workflows, technology) grounded in best practices
Planning and Budgeting:
- Provide effective strategic and policy direction, facilitating the organization's growth and development.
- Develop and implement of strategic, operational, financial, and budgetary plans and ensure appropriate alignment and use of resources with goals and strategic priorities.
- Work in partnership with the Board of Directors to develop and implement a strategic vision.
- Ensure a strong partnership and effective working relationships between the staff and board and act as a dedicated liaison between the Board of Directors and staff.
- Provide timely and comprehensive information, analysis, and consultation to the board. Prepare monthly management and other reports and keep the board apprised of key actions, issues, decisions, and developments.
- Draft policies for board approval and develop procedures to implement organizational policies; review existing policies annually and recommend changes.
- Provide direction for committees and task forces and the appointment and orientation of members to their roles in collaboration with the Board Chair
- Advance the organization's mission and goals by actively seeking and developing relationships with community partners, policymakers, political and community leaders, professional organizations, and governmental and non-governmental agencies to increase awareness of the mission and optimize opportunities to broaden its reach.
- Serve as a key spokesperson on day-to-day organization-wide issues and represent the organization on policy issues as appropriate.
- Lead efforts to increase the number of top donors.
Business and Fund Development
- Oversee and support the solicitation of major donors in conjunction with staff leadership and board members.
- Develop strategic partnerships with funders, policymakers prospective businesses.
- Evolve organizational funding by developing creative ways to acquire funds with an entrepreneurial mindset.
QUALIFICATIONS KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED (Minimum education and experience needed to perform the job adequately)
- Bachelor's degree in non-profit/business management or related field.
- Eight to ten years of management experience with at least five years in an executive-level position in a non-profit organization.
- Knowledge and skill in business development, budget development,
- A record of successful and innovative fundraising with proven experience with individual donors and major gifts.
- Possess strong business acumen and is astute and savvy in government relations with a proven ability to navigate local, regional, and national political environments.
- Track record of developing new relationships and partnerships by utilizing effective networking skills.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership and management of a complex organization and showed results in strategic positioning, new business development, and acquisition of external funding.
- Highly effective emotional intelligence, communications, and interpersonal skills include effectively managing and growing relationships with diverse stakeholders, including board members, partners, funders, staff, and the public. The candidate must have the ability to analyze and resolve issues quickly, make effective decisions in a collaborative culture, seek, respect, and incorporate diverse views and opinions
- Proven experience working with boards, committees, and donors to achieve organizational objectives.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills and experience creating effective, targeted internal communication plans.
- Ability to achieve organizational results while developing and motivating employees through positive management techniques as a proven strategic leader with expertise in building organizations and creating healthy, trust-based workplace cultures.
- Exhibit behaviors and qualities of a servant leader
- Possesses strong strategic thinking ability and demonstrated skill and experience in developing, implementing, and evaluating strategic and operational plans.
- Ability to appraise complex and challenging situations and exhibit practical decision-making skills.
- Exhibits strong business ethics with high confidentiality, tact, diplomacy, and professionalism.
- Proven and lived experience in creating a culture committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Cross-cultural competence while prioritizing the implementation of equitable and inclusive practices and the ability to engage in difficult conversations on sensitive topics such as racism, white supremacy, and fragility.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
The salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid time off (PTO) and holidays, dental, vision, life insurance, health insurance, and long-term disability coverage.
HOW TO APPLY:
Impact Search Advisors by Non-profit HR is leading the search process on behalf of Associated Black Charities. Inquiries regarding the search process should be directed to Bert Ruiz, Senior Consultant, Non-profit HR, at email@example.com. Please submit a cover letter and your resume https://20180828213411_9cjrptjj1qq1nwq0.applytojob.com/apply/PbY6LzBOLL/Chief-Executive-Officer-Associated-Black-Charities
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
Nonprofit HR is committed to fostering and maintaining a work environment where diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are fully integrated into everything we do for the benefit of our employees and the clients that we serve. To fully realize our goal, we prioritize our understanding of the complexities of DEI within our workforce to inform our approach to talent management. We believe that this guides how we do our work, advise our clients to operationalize DEI and position our content and educational opportunities help strengthen the talent management capacity of the social impact sector.
Continue reading our about our commitment at nonprofithr.com/deinow.